Monday, April 19, 2010

Dear Mac: Nine Months Old


Nine months old seems so grown up. I mean, you're definitely not an infant anymore. These are the non-infant things you're getting up to this month:
  • You look like a little boy now. A brawny child with a big blue eyes, gapped teeth and a blond brush cut punctuated by crazy long, wild hairs that suggest just a hint of glorious baby mullet to come.
  • You took your first steps last week. You tried it, you thought it was cool, then you shelved it.
  • You did the same with stairs. Just not that into it yet.
  • You're eating a bit more, but it has to be big people food and not on a spoon for some reason (I must have traumatized you with my, um, enthusiastic feeding style). Now I mostly feed you with my fingers. It gets messy for both of us. Favourite snacks: banana and puffed wheat and whatever happens to be mashed into the floor any given day (What? It's strengthening your immune system).
  • (Or not) You have another cold. Or allergies? Anyway, it sucks. We had you going down by yourself and almost sleeping through the night but for two feedings and if it weren't for the buckets of snot threatening to drown you every time you lie down, I'm sure you'd be a great sleeper by now. We'll have to start all over again, but I don't care. I just want you to feel better.
  • You love to be outside, on the move, going places, doing things. This house is so boring already. You've explored every nook and cranny and opened every drawer and chewed on every bit of wire/ electronic /furniture / household pet. Time for the wider world.
  • That said, you're still not that into playing with other kids. We went over to a dinner party the other night and you were pretty content to play by yourself despite the tempting chaos of older children around you. One older blond girl made you smile particularly brightly, and you were obsessed with the strawberry blonde locks of another little girl. So if they're girls, you'll pay attention? Huh.
  • You have a great sense of humour, with some caveats. We can get you laughing if it's new and innovative. If you've seen it before, forget it. Exception: you pull an animal card off of your wall (where I stuck them with velcro) and if it's the bee, I bzzzz-bzzz-bzzzz into your neck. Cow is moo-mooo-mooo on your cheeks. Horse is a swish of bangs into your face. Hen is peck-peck-peck on your tummy. It makes you lose it every time (I hope you don't reach the zebra card anytime soon, cuz I'm drawing a blank on that one).
  • You don't like to be separated from us. You throw temper tantrums if I leave the room (actually, if I leave your immediate vicinity) and, oh, how I love your dramatics. Eyes screwed up, mouth pinched, face beet-red as you try to work up the best mad you can. And if I laugh at you, you throw yourself screaming, face first on the floor. Usually this means you mash your lips against your teeth and so now you have renewed purpose and glare at me accusingly, see what you did?! I think it's all high-larious.
  • The tub is still the best thing ever. Yesterday you learned to belly flop yourself through the water. You almost drowned a few times and, well, I let you. You got the hang of keeping your head up pretty quick. You even experimented with putting your face in the water. Swimming lessons are in your future.
  • We still read to you even if you'd rather be across the room emptying the shelves or dismantling the baby monitor again. Eventually you will love books as much as we do, whether you want to or not.
  • I say this poem to you every night:
Now I lay my head to rest,
I pray that all the world be blessed.
Moon so high and twinkling stars,
Shine upon me from afar.
The world of dreams will dance and sing,
And to me sweetest stories bring.
And when I wake to greet the day,
The sun so bright will light my way.
  • I adapted it from a pagan prayer I found on the Internet. I took out all the "lord of dreams", "lady moon" and "sister star" stuff. If you must know, gender assignment of natural elements bothers me. And yes, I read tarot. And yes, I get the hypocrisy. You can nail me on it when you're 16.
  • You are so cute I could die. Your smile melts me. I adore you. I love to hug and kiss and cuddle you. You're not super cuddly back, but you like to be held and once in awhile you'll snuggle into me, or stroke my arm or play with my earlobes and then my heart bursts. Until you bite me and the moment's so over.
Love you Doodles,
Mommy

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



0 comments:

post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON