Monday, November 16, 2009

Round Whatever

Apparently this is a sleep journal now! Oh well, better than a boob journal. Or a puke, poop and pee journal. All of which it has been at various times. I'm under no illusions that this is interesting to anyone but me. I do edit these down (you're so lucky). Thank you for indulging.

So, Mac napped for his usual half hour (urgh! So short! Can't do anything! Frustrating!) and started crying like usual. And like usual, I plodded upstairs to pick him up and bring him down for his post-nap feed (which I've jokingly referred to as "his coffee" because he's intolerable until he's had it). And as usual, he had "waking up face" - red eyed, looks like he just snapped out of an intense dream.

I was mid-reach when suddenly I remembered a section of this book I've read off and on since he was born where it says that sometimes waking up isn't really waking up, but rather transitioning. Having nothing to lose (but my sanity), I started to rock him. He cried quite a bit and I almost gave up, but then he popped his thumb in his mouth and went back to sleep and he's been down for almost an hour.

Is it possible all this time I've had a sleep-deprived child? Come to think of it, after those rare long naps, he does wake up really happy...

(insert d'oh)

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



3 comments:

Blogger Jack Hilkewich ~ 1:04 PM

Sorry but I can't recall if you've touched on this and I am too lazy to look through your archives, but have you looked into allergies? Maybe he is allergic to his food, whatever that consists of right now, breast milk or pablumy types of stuff.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 1:19 PM

I have looked a little into allergies. But the symptoms = teething = sleep deprivation = four month regression = my doctor has no clue. In other words, throw it all at the wall and see what sticks?  


Blogger Family Compass ~ 4:02 PM

Well done!

Don't be too hard on yourself in terms of not trying this sooner. Every time we have tried something and it actually worked, I always spend a little time beating up on myself for not trying it sooner, but the fact is that their developmental readiness is also a factor. Until this age, babies sleep so lightly for survival reasons.

Remember, even though it might not work for every nap from now until forever, it is proof that eventually Mac can and WILL transition to longer sleeps. I never thought N would nap more than 40 minutes at a go and here she is, a regular 75 minute napper. Plus, if she wakes up early, I leave her and she goes back on her own. It won't be long and he will be napping two big ones a day and sleeping better at night!  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON