Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dear Mac: Two Months Old

Two months ago tonight I was nearing the end of the marathon that was my labour and your birth. I can't believe it's been been only two months. I feel like I've aged 10 years, at least in experience alone.

And yet, on the other hand, holy cow, it's already been two months! You're definitely no longer a newborn. You're a baby, with round cheeks punctuated by dimples and huge blue eyes, and the cutest little pointy chin. You're still long and lean, but your ankles, thighs and arms are starting to show promise of roly-poly folds. I can't wait.

In other news:
  • You fell out of love with Lamp when we changed the bulb. You'd rather stare at Chimney, now.
  • You're outgrowing all of your 3-month clothes.
  • We finally started you on cloth diapers, resulting in a lot more laundry, but you seem happier. No more lobster bum.
  • You talk. Oh, do you ever. Goo's and gurgles and yells, especially when you think you're alone. We get such a kick out of it.
  • You still prefer to fall asleep swaddled up tight with your face buried into something - an armpit, a rolled up blanket, my boob - and no matter what we do, you insist on pulling any available covering over your head when you sleep.
  • While you hate getting your diaper changed, you love to be naked. I don't understand how you know the difference.
  • You have a lot of different cries, now. One of my favourites is the 'fake cry' when I pull you off the boob to burp. You doth protest! Loudly! With legs all stiff and back arched! I SHALL NOT BE BURPED!!
  • But my most favourite cry, and I hate to say this, is your 'scared cry'. It is the most dramatic, mouth turned down, lower lip quivering, puppy dog eyed, most pathetic cartoon sad face ever and it melts my heart (as I laugh at you).
  • Y0u are definitely an intense little boy. The way you stare and frown, brow creased with concentration. Your dad says you get it from me. Thank god there are times when you're all smiles, or I'd really worry.
  • But son, why do your best smiles take place in the dark at 3AM?
  • You're still so strong. You hold your head up by yourself, as you have always, only now you swivel it around to see what you want to see. You like watching water run from the bathroom tap.
  • You love being outside. If you're fussy, we just have to take you out out to the backyard.
  • You started potty training. Sort of. I've managed to catch two poops and a pee already this week. And by which, I mean I recognized the signs and rushed to hold you over the toilet. Heck, saves on laundry!
As I write this, I can hear you cooing in your sleep. I think it's time to join you. See you later for our usual 3AM nurse 'n cuddle.

Love,
Mummy

Labels:

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ~ 10:50 AM

I love your letters to Mac......
Love Grandma A  


Blogger Amalia ~ 10:11 PM

Thanks, Grandma A.! I'm hoping he'll get a kick out of them someday. And if he doesn't, I will.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON