Monday, July 20, 2009

GiST: Recovery

1. My first real drink of water. I didn't drink enough over the three days of labour, then nothing but ice chips leading up to my 'section'. I was so thirsty. But she made me beg for it. "You're going to puke."
"No I won't."
"You can start with this." It was only a small Styrofoam cup full, but it was heaven in a mouthful.
Suddenly, I remembered my sister had packed a bottle of pink grapefruit juice in a bag of goodies. It was warm, but I downed the entire thing and didn't so much as burp.
2. The sound of Mac's bassinet being wheeled to my bed, finally. I'd been asking for him for over an hour. She said it probably wasn't my kid screaming in the nursery all that time, but Mac came to me purple and blotchy and miserable. I never let him leave my side again.
3. Moving to a private room with a bed I could put up and down all by myself, even though it shorted and called the front desk every time. And with the nice big room, now more than one person could visit me at a time.
4. Seeing all our family hold and rock Mac, gushing over his obvious adorability and cuteness. Sharing my birth story with Tina.
5. Surprising the staff with how quickly I was up and walking. Yay burpees!
6. My sister teaching us her trick for cuddling an infant to sleep. It works on cats, too.
7. Listening to This American Life on my laptop while nursing in the middle of the night.
8. My first shower.
9. The best nurse ever. I wish I could remember her name. She's training to be a lactation consultant. I wish she was here with me now.
10. Dr. Lady OB who agreed to give me an early discharge even though my own OB was off duty.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



4 comments:

Blogger Eden ~ 5:23 PM

Who is this "she" of numbers one and two? I must deliver a smack-down.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 8:57 PM

Yeah, it was a nurse. She wasn't mean about it, but she
doesn't get a gift basket, either.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 9:03 PM

p.s. thinking about it, I think it's probably standard after c-sections. Not supposed to drink too fast, not supposed to be in charge of infants until the drugs wear off a little. It still pissed me off.  


Anonymous angdesj ~ 10:28 PM

I have the worst story for you about my post delivery, but you can ask your hubby.....I was treated like crap....and I am still suffering. At the end of the day you have a beautiful baby and that is all that matters! You are going to recover fast because of being in such a good shape!!! Look forward to seeing you at CrossFit. Wish I had some lactation advice, but again another not so great story...I eventually had to admit defeat and started formula about six weeks in....and a better/happier/rested/no so crazy Mommy having done it.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON