Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Recession

In her recent blog post, financial guru Gail Vaz-Oxlade talks about when you should own your own home. She poses nine questions to ask yourselves before you buy. Unfortunately, Trevor and I fail the first two questions right off the top.

Freelance was never supposed to be a problem, though. A year ago when we made the Big Move back to Regina and into our little house, we were in a very different space. We've always had work. In fact, Trevor has 13 years of nearly constant editing work under his belt and was turning down jobs almost weekly. We had no reason to doubt the trend would change in any significant way.

Cut to a year later and, well, I don't need to tell you how the whole economy thing played out. Unfortunately, the television industry is always the canary in the coalmine. Add to that my mat leave and school in the fall (a career change that now looks more necessary than ever), and we're not just looking at cutting out the things that we love most, we're starting to wonder if we'll even keep the house in the long run.

I've seen how the stress of scenarios like this can kill relationships, so very early on we talked about how losing the house is not the end of the world. We've rented before, we can do it again and it sure as hell is not worth destroying us over. We're healthy, we're capable, we're still in love with each other. That's what matters.

And since then, we've been able to lighten up a whole lot. We're not at the end yet and, Universe willing, we'll never get there. Meanwhile, we've had a whole lot of time to spend together before the baby comes. We've reconnected with friends and family. Somehow, the things we need just seems to show up and we're wanting for nothing at all. We're very, very lucky.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



2 comments:

Blogger Jack Hilkewich ~ 9:42 AM

I've had a lot of those issues surrounding freelancing as well. I have had so many "jobs" to help supplement my freelance work it isn't funny. But when I realized that I had kids on the way I tried to settle down into a job. I did what I had to do to in order to hold up my end of bargain.

It took 8 years but I did eventually go back on my own. I liked the security of a job but I missed all the freedom.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that things will work out for you, you guys will do whatever it takes to survive.

Talk to John Kennedy at Access, he might be looking for some contractors.  


Blogger Tyler ~ 11:21 AM

I gotta say, reading this post put me in a better mood.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON