Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Breastesses and Naming

I just bought a Medela Swing breast pump used. I know, I know. I've read all the stuff on used pumps and sanitation and blah-blah-blah. But there is this other side of me, the side that grew up in southern Africa and watched babies being birthed and raised in all sorts of hygienically questionable conditions, including my own baby sister, that scoffs at the dangers lurking in our western world. What. Ever.

Plus, this is a model that was clearly barely used. Lots of women buy these expensive contraptions only to find out that their milk won't come in. It happened to this woman, a nurse, and I was willing to use her bad fortune to my advantage. Plus, she met my offer. I'm unemployed, people.

The funny part was conducting the transaction in the entrance of the Northgate Safeway. I can just imagine what the security cameras caught. Strange looking apparatus in box handed over, examined closely, buttons pressed. Money exchanging hands. The second funny part was getting it home and reading the instruction pamphlet. Why do the 'how to' images have the women applying the pump over their clothes??? I'm going to be a lactating woman. I think I can handle seeing a little breast. And, yes, I damn well want to know how to apply this thing properly, nipple 'n all.

In other baby news, no, we have not really thought about names. We've gone through the motions - internet lists, books - a couple of times but I find it extremely tedious. It's not that I'm not excited for the baby. And we do plan to give it a name. I just really, really despise shopping. Accordingly, this baby will get the first name that fits and sounds reasonable. I buy clothes the same way.

After all, it's just a name. It's up to the kid to make it mean something, right?

Labels: ,

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



4 comments:

Blogger Family Compass ~ 4:27 PM

I like that the pump is described as "trendy"-- heaven forbid that your pump is out of style... :)

My unsolicited advice? Once you know it works for you, buy extra bottles (it's a pain to only have a couple when you need to sanitize them after every use). We got a cheap microwave bottle sanitizer on Used Regina-- only $10 when they're $50 new. And the storage bags are actually quite handy if you plan to keep some in the freezer.

When we were looking at names, I had other people send me their ideas, which was nicer than sifting through 300,000 Baby Names! in a book. People who are done having kids are the best because they're not all territorial and secretive with the names they really like. It's like having your own personal shopper bring the clothes to you, in the comfort of your own home!  


Blogger Elan Morgan ~ 6:48 PM

Us barren people are generous with names, too!

I like Nyla. My grandmother's name is Cornelia, and Nyla was the short form used when they lived in Russia.  


Blogger Eden ~ 5:04 PM

I've never sanitized a bottle. Oops.  


Anonymous Anonymous ~ 8:25 PM

Hey, Nyla is kind of cool... --Working  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON