Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pregnancy Meets Crossfit

Here’s a pregnancy topic that you can’t get a straight answer on: exercise. My doctor shut down as soon as I said the word “weightlifting”. I didn’t even bother describing the modifications I’d made because she was too busy shaking her head to listen. I think she’d be happy if I went for walks and the odd yoga class for the next six months. But I wouldn’t be happy.

I’ve done my research and luckily there are a lot of pregnant women who have continued Crossfit and lived to blog about it. And accordingly, I’ve followed their sage advice and altered my approach to be much less intense. Maybe about 1/3 to ½ of my usual weight limit or effort with modifications to movements that are particularly joint intensive, have us lying on our backs or put too much pressure on the abdomen. And by many standards, I’m still being overly cautious.

So far, I find that it’s different but a good kind of different. Saturday’s class was intense even with my modifications. So in the middle of a full class, pulsating with all of that high intensity workout energy, I’d take a moment and close my eyes, breathing calmly and slowly, focusing on the feeling of my heart pumping blood through my system. Just for a moment, though, before rejoining for the kettle bell swings (which I still love and which still feel great).

Being forced to slow down is certainly a different kind of mind-body connection, and not disappointing at all. I hope it lasts.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



3 comments:

Blogger Family Compass ~ 10:26 AM

I'm impressed. Keep it up if you can! I was told not to do anything in the beginning to see if the pregnancy would take and then I was sick for so long that when I felt better exercise had lost its luster. And the whole gaining 35 pounds thing isn't all its cracked up to be.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 10:42 AM

Sleeves, they do have a puke bucket at Crossfit. But if I had half the nausea I had in 1st Trimester, there's no way in hell I'd be there.  


Blogger About James ~ 5:54 PM

I remember all the books and the Sally class said there was a weight limit you should lift while pregnant. 30 lbs or something? I can't remember.

And everyone says exercise is important during pregnancy, especially in the second trimester. In the third, you might consider swimming.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON