Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Bye Bye?

I’m going back to school.

My school-weary 22 year-old self drops her book bag in astonishment, “WTF did you just say?”

I’m going back to school. Well, if I can get in.

“You gotta be kidding me.”

I’m not.

“We swore that once we were finished this damn BA Hons. we’d never look back. Full time jobs, full time school.  It's too much.  Besides, how old are you, anyway?”

32.

“Gawd.  You'll never make it.”

Maybe.  Maybe not.

“And what have you been doing for the last, oh, decade? Besides eating, by the looks of it.”

Oh, little of this, little of that.  I’ve been working my way up in TV. I got married. We live in Toronto.

“Toronto?!  I hate Toronto!”

Yeah, why was that again?  You'd never even been here. But listen, it’s not bad, not bad at all.  You're gonna love the neighbourhood.

“So television, eh?” There’s a gleam in her eye.

Yup. You’ll soon get a chance to volunteer for a local cable show.  Take it.  It leads to good things. The whole industry was good to us. Well, except for that one gig.

“What happened?”

Oh nothing. Just that we got our dream job, a chance ‘look behind the curtain’, so to speak.

And?”

I don’t want to ruin the surprise. Just remember that sometimes it’s better to remain a fan than to become an employee of something. Oh, and, keep your chin up. You did a damn fine job. Just remember that.

Rolls her eyes, “whatever. Hey, did we marry...," she pauses, "did we ever hook up with T--?”

Stop right there. I know who you’re going to say. Forget about that man. The relationship doesn’t work out, he moves on, and you will thank your lucky stars for that. Especially when you meet our dear husband.

She looks like she’s about to cry.

Don't worry.  It all works out.

“So, what are you gonna to do now?”

Believe it or not, I think I'm going into Nursing. Well, if I can get into the program. It could take awhile.

“Wow."  She thinks about this.  "You know you’re going to be older than all of the other students.”

Yup.

“You’re going to be, like, 40 when you finally graduate from any sort of specialty.”

Yup.

“I don’t get it. I just want to get out of here and you’re sending us back.”

I know. I know. I'm worried, too.  But it just feels important. I’ve spent a career moving towards this kind of evolution.

“Well, I think you’re being stupid. Television sounds waaaay cool.”

It was. Enjoy the hell out of it, my darling.

"Yeah, well.  I gotta get to class."  

Me too, I hope.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



4 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ~ 8:42 AM

I had a hard time getting along with the 22 year old Working too. Total bitch and what a drinking problem! The woman never laid off the sauce.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 8:55 AM

Oh god. Remember Buck-a-draft at Checkers? Ew.  


Blogger notquiteawake ~ 12:16 PM

Cool post.
And congrats on the decision! I think you will make a fine nurse.  


Blogger savia ~ 1:32 PM

Ah, Checkers. I miss Checkers. I was the queen of the dance contests, I was.

Hey, Schmutzie mentioned to me that you may have to get jaw surgery in the near future(I hope I have the right person here. If not, please ignore this comment.)

Anyway, I just had jaw surgery to advance my lower jaw in Saskatoon this year and I made a blog chronicling it, in case you're interested. It's here.

And good luck with the nursing!!  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON