Wednesday, July 23, 2008

5x365 Nick the Neighbour

5x365 Nick the Neighbour

As I sit here at five in the morning blinking at my computer screen, I’m thinking about you. I wonder if you aren’t already up. You probably jumped out of bed with more precision than an alarm clock. I bet Mrs. Nick probably already has coffee and a hearty breakfast on the go.

By 6:30 you’ll be out in the garden, pruning and weeding. At 9AM, you’ll make me jump out of my skin as usual when you yell hello across the street to the neighbours. At 10AM it’ll be time for a break and you’ll slip off your sandals and sit on your front porch, people-watching through the bower of greenery that practically encases the front of your house. Mrs. Nick will work on her sewing, as your pet bird chirps between you in its cage.

At noon, you both disappear into the house for a couple of hours. I’m willing to bet it’s for lunch and a nap and Sir, I salut you, as I am also a champion napper when given the chance. At 4PM you will emerge to finish up your chores. Then you have supper and at 8PM the neighbours will come over and you’ll all sit on the porch debating loudly until precisely 10:30PM.

And why the hell am I up so early?  Because I aspire to getting my writing life, at least, down to the simple, comfortable Science you seem to have achieved.  I hope it doesn't take 40 years to form a habit.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ~ 7:38 AM

I don't remember "Nick the neighbour" (or neeemour - as Isaiah says it!). Was he the one with the train set? I remember him well...they were so nice.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 8:11 AM

No, it's my current neemour. But I totally remember that guy. He will make an appearance.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON