Tuesday, July 22, 2008

4X360 D's Mom

What I can appreciate is a good character.  And so far, the villains in my entries have been the best characters of all.  I am truly blessed in this category.  Though, this must come with the disclaimer that my perspective gives them a rather two-dimensional quality.  Man, do I wish I knew their stories a little better.

4X360 D’s Mom

What was shocking to me was how horrible you were to your daughter. I met you just after my own mother took off and I must say, you were the one mother that didn’t make me feel the loss.

You made D., all of 13 at the time, cook the meals, clean the entire house and parent her little brother while you were out at all hours.  Then maybe you would let her come over to my house. D's freedom was the carrot you loved to dangle and I suspected that you didn’t like me because I was something you couldn't control as much.  You tried, though.  I was only allowed over when you weren’t home (come to think of it, I'd have to leave before you returned.  Maybe I wasn’t so much allowed over…).

We got back at you in our own way.  For one, I did come over.  For another, we spent many delightful hours making fun of your irrational behavior, your chain smoking, your audible sexcapades with that one guy who to this day still creeps me out.

Maybe life was hard on you and that’s why you were so hard on D. You must have had some reason to try to crush the spirit right out of her. And yet, D. is one of the most loving, thoughtful people I know. She wants to be a writer. And lady, you gave her tons to work with.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



3 comments:

Blogger About James ~ 7:43 PM

Reminds me of the family next door to the main characters on Swingtown. Just a bit.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 8:45 AM

You know, very similar.  


Blogger Eden ~ 6:40 PM

Didn't know you were still in touch with D. Good to hear she's doing well.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON