Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Sorry, I've Been Overwhelmed

All is well, all is well. The family politics have eased. For the first time in a long time, I can truly say, what tension? It's like when a storm finally breaks.

I'm not used to the new routine yet and despite the very comfortable and familiar surroundings of my parents' house, I'm not sleeping so much. But Charlie is settling right in. She enjoys long prairie grass, ducks, beavers and gopher holes. Haven't seen an actual gopher yet, which is odd. Did they, er, 'take care of them'?

This blog is truly misnamed because I'm thousands of kilometers from home and I no longer work five feet from my couch. I now have to rush to walk the dog, eat breakfast and find wearable clothes because I work with people. Actual other people. In an office. And not just an office, an open newsroom. I'm too scared to check Facebook or update my blog because local television and radio celebs keep walking by and can see exactly what I'm doing.

So I can already tell I'm going to spend a lot of time looking very busy. I'm grateful half of my days are in the field. So actually, I'll be working from other people's homes.

Oh, for God's sake, why is CBC is playing Nickelcrap? This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Speaking of the Mothership, here's some breaking news:

Many parents think they're helping their baby's language by letting them watch a Baby Einstein DVD, but the opposite might be the case, according to a study out Tuesday.

The study found that with every hour per day spent viewing baby DVDs and videos, infants between the ages of eight and 16 months learned about 10 per cent fewer new vocabulary words compared to babies who never watched the targeted programming. Link.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



1 comments:

Blogger Eden ~ 10:20 AM

The American Pediatric Association recommends no television for kids under 2. Not "no crap TV" but no TV at all - it's not the content that matters, but the format. Kids shouldn't sit and watch two-dimensional fast-paced, confusing images with bombarding sound accompaniment. So... I'm not surprised that when TV replaces real human interaction, some learning is lost.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON