Saturday, August 04, 2007

Leaving On A Jet Plane

Thank you for all of your sympathy. I means the world.

I get on a plane in a few hours and I haven’t packed and here I am writing to you. Avoidance, anyone? It’s not that I’m not in love with the plan anymore. It’s just that yesterday’s events completely finished me. I want to curl up in a ball and sleep for a month. Instead, I’m about to leave my husband, return to a complicated family and start a new job in a city that is practically a stranger to me.

About the only thing good that has come out of Boo’s death is when Trevor said, “maybe we should have a kid.”
“Say what?”
“Well, if we’re going to project this much love and devotion onto our animals, maybe it’s time to think about projecting it onto a human.”

He also said the following this morning:
“I’m sad you’re leaving.”
“I’m sad I’m leaving, too. But we’re going to still have a relationship. It’ll just be different. Virtual.”
“Futuristic. Hey, we could pretend we both part of the Federation and you’re on one ship and I’m on another and we’ll meet up in the Neutral Zone. And we have to call each other Captain, okay?”
“Say what?”
“Never mind. I’ll go make some coffee.”

He bought me a Where The Wild Things Are puppet to cling to on the plane. I’m not a great flyer. And I’m flying with Charlie, so I’ll be the one shoving mothers and babies aside to hound the head flight attendant to check with the Captain AGAIN that the air conditioning is working in the baggage compartment. Wish me luck.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



2 comments:

Blogger Eden ~ 3:26 PM

Welcome back tomorrow! I hope to see you soon.

Am I just projecting love onto Vincent? It's not the real thing?  


Blogger Elan Morgan ~ 4:29 PM

The WHOLE city's not a stranger. The Palinode and I are in it.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON