Monday, July 23, 2007

Look At Me!

My web page has a brand new outfit! A Schmutzie original! I love it. It inspires me to post more often, so too bad for you.

I spent the weekend working and reading the latest Harry Potter. I know, I know, enough HP already. But I find the whole thing fascinating. Notice how the media can't talk about her without mentioning how rich HP made her, how much she's worth now? And am I wrong in thinking that it's often said with a tone of disdain? Why is it so awful that this woman wrote a series of books that made her a ton of money? Is that even relevant?

I also listened to The Golden Compass as an audio book this week (debt is gone, Audible is back, the house is being cleaned again!) and while I think it's brilliant (and the recording is particularly well done), I can't say I crave the next installment. It's so imaginative. But not so addictive. Maybe I'll feel differently after the second book.

There's just something about Harry Potter. JK told a good story, simple as that. It's like a jar of Graber olives to me; you may not understand why, but I simply had to consume it to the very end. And I enjoyed every minute.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



3 comments:

Blogger Elan Morgan ~ 5:47 PM

Success! I'm glad you like it.  


Blogger i am the diva ~ 10:27 PM

i looooved HP from the very beginning to the very end... i was reading an article this morning about how many copies were sold, and how the critics think she's an awful writer and how JKRowling is not going to entice young minds to run out and read classics like The Jungle Book. You hit it on the head when you said she tells a good story. and so what if kids don't want to read Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory today? She's fostered a love of reading in a generation that is overloaded by the digital age and 'talkies'.

I don't care what anyone says, ever. I'm with you sister, HP Was frikkin awesome.

Cool new digs by the way, the Schmutzie she sure know her stuff.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 5:50 AM

Thanks, I Am The Diva. Yeah, there's a lesson somewhere in JK's experience. I appreciate good writing, but very few books make me squeal like a kid when I find them on the shelf.

Maybe that's the key? The kid part?  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON