Thursday, July 26, 2007

Facebook Messenging

WORKING:
Hey, are you in the new house yet? Why were you at the C--? Can I still borrow / rent / buy your iSight? What is the meaning of life?

JASON:
1. Nope, don't take possession till August 15th.

2. I'm currently cutting two half hours for N---. Finishing the rough cuts this week and then coming back sometime August-September to finish them off.

3. Yes, you can still borrow my iSight. I don't think I have any need for it for a while. No worries.

4. Dictionary.com says the meaning of life (noun) is "the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death".

Monty Python states that the Meaning of Life is "Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."

I agree with both of those, but I think it is not the meaning of life that most people really want to know, but rather "What is the purpose of my life?". Unfortunately, this is not easily answered as it varies from individual to individual. As well, is our purpose in the grand scheme of things defined on an individual level or on a global one?

I think I personally lean mostly towards a humanist approach. This addresses our purposes on both levels in the form of enlightened self-interest, in which we attempt to enrich our own lives by trying to enrich the lives of others. This comes through our relationships with friends and strangers alike. I believe this is actually what defines the "ideal" that people seek when they get married or have children. I know that my brother had difficulty understanding his purpose until he had a child. Now, his purpose for living is defined through her.

Of course, I may not be the best person to answer this question as I currently don't know what my purpose is or what I need to find fulfillment. But in closing, let me say that perhaps the meaning of life is quite simply just to live and just go along for the ride.

It's like a giant Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book. If you take the south road, you end up at the Ranger Station and tell them that your friend Timmy is trapped in the mine. If you take the north road, you get lost and stumble into a bear den where you're eaten alive. Who could've known that the bear den was there? Obviously, not you. It's sucks that you were eaten but hey, that's life.

Hope that helps.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



0 comments:

post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON