Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Facebook That Haunts

I love the Facebook. Seeing all of those people. Who’s getting married, who's being born, who’s getting completely drunk and giving the camera the finger.

Who loves shoes, who loves fast food; who, like me, thought The Departed blew chunks (not many of you, apparently).

It's fascinating seeing how we of the DML High School Graduating Class of ’94 all look about 30, now. Some of us holding kids up to the camera. Some of us in really cool, far away places. Some of us holding kids up to the camera in really cool far away places.

Some of us are still using expressions like “blew chunks”.

I'm also surprised at how my life in Toronto is starting to take form. So many opportunities to let myself fall in like with this city.

What I didn’t predict, perhaps naively, was this: "Holy crap. It's you. I remember that horrible situation that I will forever associate with you. And now you've sent me a friend request."

I thought that I had packed my suitcase and really moved on from my youth, figuratively and literally, but Facebook throws it in my, er, face. I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach that proves that I haven’t gone as far as I thought.

On the other hand, deciding between the "accept as friend" and "decline" is an interesting self-examination. What are my motivations?

Which are really kind of worth exploring.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



3 comments:

Blogger notquiteawake ~ 12:32 PM

I thought the departed blew chunks too!

With regards to facebook, I'm lucky in the way that I was pretty unpopular in highschool so the only two people from my highschool who've actually requested my friendship are the two people who I'm friends with now. The day someone else from my highschool sends me a friend request is the day I am struck down with shock.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 12:38 PM

But what about the ex-boyfriends and ex-friends of our 20's? That's what I'm talking about.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 12:39 PM

And thank GOD you felt the same way about The Departed! Trevor and I thought we were alone.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON