Saturday, March 10, 2007

On Writing

I spend inordinate amounts of time thinking about how I should be writing. I’d love to be a writer, writers write, so I should write. A+B=C. However, it occurred to me that I think more about the act of writing than stories themselves. When I do have an idea, it quickly cools and gets old, “seen it, how derivative.” I have no staying power.

I remember being a serious daydreamer when I was a kid. I loved long drives because my mind would wrap itself in a fantasy. For hours and hours.

Somewhere along the line my brain stopped working that way. And wanting something to happen is not enough in the world of fiction. Well, not my world. I’m too impatient to pound it out if I’m not feeling it. Problem: how to feel it.

One thing is sure. I am sick and tired of wasting my life waiting for something to happen.

Three choices:
1. Sit here and torture myself.
2. Come at this from a different angle.
3. Walk away from it and do something less torturous and more fulfilling. I don’t want to be the contestant on Americ@n Id0l who adjusts her ill-fitting bra and blows snot into her sleeve, crying, “I know I’m good. I know I’m good.” No, honey, you’re not even good enough for the ‘worst of’ episode.

The answer? Oh, I think I’m feeling it. I’ll let you know.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



0 comments:

post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON