Monday, January 08, 2007

Rambling Around The Dales

I’m in Buxton. About the beer. You order 'Guinness Extra Cold' and it's still not that cold. But I think I'm going to try some 'Bitter' next time, whatever that might be. I've made it my goal to try all the things I see on Coronation Street, like chip botties (hoagie roll stuffed with fries) and pasties (pastry stuffed with meat, fries on the side) and mushy peas (just what it sounds like, bit smoky in flavour. With fries).

Oh, I made the mistake the other night of tipping the bartender. Mom says that's an insult here because it relegates them to a role of servitude. It's true that after, I noticed people didn't tip. But funny how the bartender still snatched up my pound.... I think the UK is just fine with foreigners and their crazy, tipping ways.

More to come – the library computer is counting me down and I have two minutes to post this. Shouldn’t have spent so much time sending a gossipy email to my sibs.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ~ 10:02 AM

Glad you're having fun the UK. I got caught on the tipping thing, too. You just pay the cost the of the drinks. If you're feeling generous, once in a while, you can say "Have one for yourself" and give them enough for a drink of their own. But it's by no means expected.

Mushy peas aren't quite the same as what we eat in Canada. It's a different type of bean and is cooked longer, then mashed. Tasty, though.

Say hi to the Barlows for me. ;-)

And your Friday updates are in good hands until you return so no worries.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON