Monday, December 04, 2006

Visit to the Doctor

“How are you, sorry to keep you waiting,” he lands his laptop onto the desk and inserts the cable and opens my file in one swoop.
“Good. I ran out of my thyroid meds about three weeks ago.”
“You did? Why?”
“Work was busy and I got married.”
“You can’t just leave that sort of thing.”
“I know, I know. I should have called.”
“How is your weight?”
“I have no idea.”
“Take off your boots and jacket and stand on the scale. Okay, move that and this… that’s… wow.”
“Wow.”
"Hmm."
"Wow."
“How much did you weigh three years ago?”
“Oh, about 40 lbs less.”
“Are you planning to get pregnant?”
“What? Now? No.”
“What form of birth control are you using?”
[Censored because our parents read this blog and I'm shy, but note it is a perfectly acceptable form of birth control second only to the pill]
“So you are planning to get pregnant.”
“Well, no.”
“But if it happens?”
“It wouldn't be the end of the world.”
“How old are you?”
“30.”
“And you want what, two kids?”
“Er, I guess so.”
“Then you should start soon. Women these days think 35 is the magical number but that’s the number to stop having kids. If you want two and you want to space them out, you better get started.”
(Gulp)
“Why aren’t you starting?”
“We’re freelancers. You gotta save up for that sort of thing.”
“There’s never a good time.”
“I’ve heard that, but….”
“You should lose the weight now. You don’t want to be losing it when you’re pregnant. 2 lbs a week, if not more. And you should go on maternity vitamins.”
“But we really aren’t interested in trying….”
“Still, you admit it could happen.”
“Sure.”
“And even if you’re waiting two years, that time is going to fly. Might as well start now.”
"Um, okay.”
“The thyroid is no longer an excuse for your weight. What’s happening?”
“We eat healthfully, just too much. Portion control.”
“Every day?”
“Mostly on weekends. I dunno, I guess we celebrate the weekend. Ha.”
“Find a new way to celebrate.”

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



3 comments:

Blogger Eden ~ 4:47 PM

Sounds like the doctor's clock is ticking on behalf of yours...  


Anonymous Anonymous ~ 9:46 AM

Good God! I don't believe a word of it! I think you're making all this up to convince Trevor to be generous with his sperm.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 12:21 PM

The account is accurate. I don't know why it freaked me out so much. I think it's because I feel 25 and I don't like hearing that I'm "getting up there" in breeding terms.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON