Friday, December 08, 2006

Anxiety and Carols

Anonymous mentioned General Anxiety Disorder in the comments and offered a link to Wikipedia, which has this to say:

(I pause here to turn down the radio, as a local artist is absolutely torturing ‘Good King Wenceslas’. The audience is applauding enthusiastically anyway. Christmas is about cheer, afterall).

GAD sufferers often worry excessively over things such as their job, their finances, and the health of themselves and their family.

Yup, that sounds about right.

GAD sufferers can also worry over more minor matters such as deadlines for appointments, keeping the house clean, and whether or not their workspace is properly organized.

Er, is worrying that the house is a disgusting mess the same thing?

A few things help with the worrying. One, watching documentaries like this and realizing I don’t have problems. Not really.

Second, just take one small step, one small action. Then another small action. Forget tomorrow, forget big strategies, just do one small thing now. That has always worked for me. ‘Course, my head jumps about ten steps ahead and I’m worrying about “how are we ever going to do this? What if we don’t? What about this, this and that?” That’s the part I’m going to work on controlling today.

My expectations for debt reduction are very high and I unleashed my anxiety on Trevor last night. I have impeccable timing – I waited until we were in bed and his eyelids were almost completely closed. As usual.

One thing that came out of our conversation was that we won’t be buying Christmas gifts for each other this year. No, it’s not about creating a feeling of scarcity. Not at all. It’s just that we already have a lot of stuff. Movies we never watch, books that haven’t been read, cameras and Tarot cards that don’t get used. What we need is an interruption of spending and a little more appreciation and creativity.

My mind is already forging ahead towards anxiety. Little actions. I'm going to pull two tarot cards. I'm going to do the dishes. I’m going to pull out the Christmas tree.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



1 comments:

Blogger Eden ~ 7:58 PM

I'm kind of the same way as far as worrying and future-thinking. I've been trying to get into mindfulness meditation, living in the now. You could check out Jon Kabat-Zinn's "Wherever You Go, There You Are."  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON