Thursday, November 23, 2006

Television

We helped New Neighbour haul an old couch left behind by the Old Neighbour. If only he knew the things that went on on that couch, he’d probably have gotten rid of it a long time ago. But I think NOT saying anything about it is part of being a good neighbour.

Anyway, moving the couch involved a cramped hallway (with a brief, unplanned tour of his kitchen and bathroom), down a very narrow stairwell, over a banister and across the porch. In the end, it was easier than we thought and I only lost my slippers twice.

Of course I did the brief glance thing so he wouldn’t notice I was actually snooping. He doesn’t have a lot of stuff. In fact, I wonder why it took him and the aunts three weekends to move him in. Getting rid of the couch left him with one chair.

In the corner was an old TV with a hand drawn picture taped to the screen. It said something like, “The new revolution is not TV”, and had an image of a tortured, googly-eyed guy. I think. It was hard to get a good read in brief glances.

Wow, what he must think of us. We watch a lot of TV. By his standards, probably stupefying amounts. I never had a TV growing up and I guess I’m making up for it. Old shows, new shows. Space shows, true shows.

Here’s the thing – while a lot of what’s on TV is indeed crap and a colossal waste of time and the whole reason a lot of us are getting fat, there is good TV out there. Better than it’s ever been, I could argue. Some TV shows run like serials now and the production value is excellent. I consider myself a ‘reader’, and yet I’m easily captivated. Sometimes it makes me think, makes me yell at the screen, makes me get all teary.

So if dude wants to look down his nose at me*, I’ll take him on. I feel confident in my argument that TV is an entirely legitimate form of narrative. In fact, I may do a study. Or, I may just pop in another Battlestar Galactica and eat apple pie.

* Okay, he likely never would look down his nose because he seems like a nice guy and now with this entry, I’m clearly the jerk.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ~ 9:59 AM

I'm mailing him a letter right now stating that you sit in your house coat and bunny slippers all day watching Judge Judy and every other 'Judge (insert first name here)' shows.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON