Tuesday, October 10, 2006

We're Married!

We’re sitting at our kitchen table back in Toronto. I’ve just walked the dogs. The coffee is familiar. I’m wearing my same old dog park jeans. Everything is normal. And yet, I feel fuzzy and spacey. Something really big just happened but I can’t quite get a clear picture of it.

Evidence it did happen is in the fact that the man sitting across from me is wearing a shiny new ring. And he’s digitizing footage of The Wedding. I keep looking over his shoulder because even though I was there, I didn’t actually see much of it. I don’t know what the hors d’oeuvres looked like. Or the sundae station. Or the bar.

THE BUILD UP

Actually, at this point in the footage it was early in the evening and while our guests ate and drank and visited, Trevor and I were on a date at a local restaurant having soup, wine and penne. People were staring at us because they were all dressed casually and I looked like something out of Deadwood. It was storming outside. Poor Trevor had to wrangle me, my dress and an umbrella back into the car while I yelled, “watch the taffeta!!”

We drove to the south liquor board store to get an expensive bottle of champagne that we would later transport all the way back to Toronto because by the time we’d get to our room that night, we’d be too exhausted to drink it. But I’m glad we bought this bottle half an hour before we got married.

THE WALK
I remember my sister was tense because everyone was waiting for us. I guess they were ready to get going. I remember telling my dad how excited I was. I remember my stepmom asking if my nephew could carry his yellow football into the room for the procession. I barely remember the walk in, but I remember I couldn’t stop smiling. I remember sitting there, listening to speeches and hearing people laugh. I remember thinking it was going by so quickly.

THE VOWS

Then suddenly everything ground to a halt. The vows happened in slow motion. I am so glad that at least that moment is a perfectly clear memory.

THE DANCE

I spoke to so many people and yet didn’t get to all of the guests. I had one or two sips of any one drink. It went so, so quickly and suddenly it was over. We were in our room blinking blearily at each other.
“Wanna order pizza?”
“Okay.”

OVERALL
It was unorthodox, with speeches making up the ceremony and everything formal getting underway at 8:30PM, but most everyone said they liked it. Trevor was relieved it went so well because for an instant he had the idea it might descend into chaos. It didn’t.

Our families made that wedding. They worked so hard in the week leading up, then at the event itself. It so wonderful. My parents worked their asses off. They threw a massive family get-together the next day. I am tremendously lucky to have them.

Overall, it was successful, as we returned home happy and married. And really, that was the whole point.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ~ 11:33 AM

Is the wedding on YouTube yet?  


Blogger Elan Morgan ~ 5:51 PM

It definitely was a good wedding. No doubt.

I remember that at my wedding, everything before the ceremony went so quickly, and then the walk down the aisle took a freaking year. Who knew twenty feet could take so long?  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON