Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Working Performs Community Service

Why you people come to this blog, I’ll never know. Especially when I talk about boring crap like dog walking. I really want to talk about my neighbours, but I hardly know them and I have this fear that they could come across this blog. Let’s leave it at this: they seem like nice people.

Instead I’ll talk about the neighbourhood headache, a dog named Lucky. She’s a very large, shepherd / husky cross. She barks her head off at everyone she sees and since six yards back onto hers (Toronto being crazy like that), she barks. All day. Non-stop.

I threw Charlie’s ball over their fence and had to retrieve it. Don’t ask me why, but I offered to walk Lucky for them. She’s a big dog, a mix of two active breeds. My theory, inspired largely by those who know, is that she needs somewhere to put that energy. And to date that’s meant going ape-shit at the neighbours.

The first walk was on the weekend. Lucky behaved like a massive jumping bean. Absolutely squirrelly. But after a few corrections and a good run (from which I returned more worse for wear than the dogs), she stopped trying to rip Charlie’s face off.

Today was run number two. She’s more comfortable now. She didn’t growl at the dogs in the park, though I was pretty quick with the correction as soon as she so much as gave them ‘the look’. However, she did try to rip Charlie’s face off once and lunged at a passer-by. She got ‘the finger bite’ for that, but she responded immediately. I was very happy.

And the absolute icing was later in the day when she started barking her head off at an older Greek woman trying to trim the hedges. I got as close to Lucky as I could, did the “shhht-stare-finger” correction thingy and she immediately shut up.

Until I went back inside. But at least it’s something.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



0 comments:

post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON