Monday, August 28, 2006

To Spawn or Not To Spawn

"I took pleasure when I could. I acted clearly and morally and without regret. I'm very lucky."

--Jeanne Louise Calment, lived 122 years and 164 days (February 21, 1875 – August 4, 1997)

Trevor and I had a most perfect weekend. We spent Saturday wandering along Queen East and West, drinking pints, exploring stores, watching people. That night we had a “Tribute to Grade Four" night (bologna on white with KD and Cokes is really a once-a-year experience).

I heard something interesting on CBC’s Quirks and Quarks. I think the gist of what the Scientist said was that happiness has more to do with the day-to-day than the big things. That a new job or raise or book deal is only a kind of short-lived high. More long-term happiness comes from belonging to a community, of day-to-day social interactions. The little things.

He added that out of all the families studied, couples reported they experienced happiness before the kids were born. Then they experienced a sharp decline of happiness that lasted pretty much until the kids left home. Then they were happy again. This was not to say they didn’t find the experience valuable, it was just a fact that their day-to-day satisfaction and overall wellbeing declined, if I’m understanding it correctly. For twenty or so years.

I thought about this as we sat listening to the rain, drinking coffees and reading the Sunday newspaper. I’m starting to feel stuck in my ways, ways that I very much enjoy. I honestly wonder if I want to mess with things?

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



1 comments:

Blogger About James ~ 8:18 PM

If you're not sure then for God's sake, get your tubes tied. Or Trevor's.

There's just no time to be happy or unhappy when you have kids.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON