Friday, August 11, 2006

Third Last Day of Holidays

To make my parents’ vacation that much sweeter, I booked them appointments at my local Shiatsu place. I was going to book three appointments, but my step mom had treated me to one of her Reflexology work-overs the night before (wherein I completely lost focus on ‘Deadwood’ because of the pain, oh the pain!). Anyway, I was still feeling good. So I guided them to the place and took my leave.

When they returned, both said the treatments were good. Dad rolled his head around to show me the looseness in his neck. My step-mom, however, didn’t seem to be as impressed. Apparently the Shiatsu practitioner gave her a life story over the treatment. Dad rolled his eyes, “these things are always happening to her.”
Step-mom laughed and agreed that for some reason people talk to her like crazy. The practitioner had even insisted on having her picture taken with Step-mom and gave her an email address. I was surprised because I’ve been going to the place for a while and my treatments have been so quiet that I’d figured they weren’t supposed to talk.

Today I was feeling stiff again, so I booked myself in. A petite Asian girl with small hands and a very limp handshake met me out front and gushed that she had met my mom. Oh just freakin’ great I thought. This weak-armed woman is going to give me a crap treatment and talk my ear off.

First of all, her limp handshake must have been because she was saving her strength. I almost started crying when she worked my neck. Second, we shared maybe ten or so words the whole time, including “head up”, “move left” and “turn over”. The rest was silent.

I couldn’t help musing about what this all meant. People open up to Step-mom. But they don’t talk to me. In fact, almost every service I have done is in a cone of silence. Hair appointments, massages, hell, even the dentist. I wondered if I should take this personally. Do they find me standoffish? Prickly? Introverted? Or just meditative? Did she pick up on my "don't ruin this by talking" vibe?

Then she attacked a particularly tender spot on my back with superhuman force and I forgot to care anymore.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



4 comments:

Blogger About James ~ 8:02 PM

If this were your step-mom's blog, I'd leave a big, long comment.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 9:58 PM

Ha! This does explain my often vacant comments section.  


Blogger Zen Shiatsu Chicago ~ 12:42 AM

What I find strange is that your stepmom doesn't seem to enjoy having all these life stories dumped on her, which makes you wonder how they come out in the first place.

Further investigation seems necessary.

Steve
Zen Shiatsu Chicago  


Blogger Amalia ~ 6:59 AM

Secretly, I think she likes it.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON