Saturday, August 12, 2006

More on Tarot

I’ve been thinking a lot about my Tarot reading lately. I’ve sort of renewed my commitment to it. I love the cards. I enjoy the study, the archetypes ‘n such.

I learn best by watching so I had two very different readings this week. Last night, Trevor and I were sitting on a stone wall in Yorkville waiting for our movie to start when I noticed a woman across the street setting up a folding table and a sign that said “Psychic Tarot and Palm Readings”. Trev gave me the $20 because he supports my random acts of madness and I went and sat down across from her.

She was petite, older. She had ‘the look’ and the accent. She asked me to cut the deck, select three cards and make three wishes. Her deck was frayed and warn, almost as soft as cloth. She laid out the rest of the cards, row upon row, and I was happy to recognize the Rider Waite deck.

Then she did what they most often do, she rambled off a series of fortunes. Basically, I’m going to be very lucky in life, love and career. I’m going to have two children, a boy and a girl (this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this). My wishes are going to come true. But there are people around me that I can’t trust and I need to hold my cards closer to my chest.

The other reading I had was completely different. James Wells is a reader in Toronto who describes his reading as reflecting a “choice-oriented model of living,” “you already possess the wisdom you need,” “a process of mutual feedback,” and the creation of “tangible action.”

I walked to his apartment and he invited me in and served me homemade iced tea. He let me choose the deck. We talked about the issue I wanted to discuss (my writing and why I don't or can't or won't) and decided on the questions. Where does writing fit into my life? Why am I consistently stalled? What can I do to get motivated? Then he created a spread. Two cards for this question, three for that, etc.. I selected the cards, he laid them out.

Then we went through each card. “What do you see in that one?” he would ask. I would describe it in minute detail and create a story about what I was seeing. James would pick up on key words in my story and we would explore them in the context of my writing. “You said the angel looks as though he has run away. What is he running from?”

It was basically an intense therapy session. The cards’ ‘official meanings’ were only loosely relevant. Rather, the answers are in the querent. The cards and reader are just there to draw them out.

I have no real opinion of fortune telling, other than I believe it’s possible and I know I can’t read that way because I am neither psychic or even highly intuitive. James’ techniques, however, are very appealing. It still involves synchronicity, which is magic enough for me.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



0 comments:

post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON