Sunday, August 27, 2006

Crappy Endings

We rented the series finale of Carnivale and the movie The Family Stone. I liked Carnivale. It’s tragic how the season was handled. I heard they found out they were cancelled and the storyline they’d intended for six seasons had to be condensed into a few episodes. I don’t know if this is true, but it sure fits. It was a messy ending. So many loose threads.

As for The Family Stone, I actually liked it. Right up until they took a roller brush and final-coated the shit out of the ending. Oh my God, the swelling music and gooey, convenient happiness that just. Wouldn't. End.

Why does Hollywood do this to movies? Is it all about focus groups choosing movie endings? You know, if people in focus groups knew how to make movies, they’d likely be out making them. Any chance they're just telling you what they hope happens to the characters? I don’t mind leaving a theatre with unanswered questions, a little room for ‘what if’ and my own imagination.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



0 comments:

post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON