Monday, July 31, 2006

Mild Crisis

I have to admit to some anxiety these days. The planet feels suddenly so small. There’s nowhere new to go. Nowhere that hasn’t been touched and likely ruined. Nothing that you can fully trust, not even food. I can’t stop thinking about the inevitable doom of humanity. And you think New Orlean's was a bad situation? The Earth has been uncharacteristically calm. Wait until Yellowstone blows (it's apparently long overdue).

I say, so what about Israel and Lebanon? It doesn’t matter. In a million years, humans will be nothing but the thinnest layer of sediment in earth’s history, to be uncovered by a species of (hopefully) higher consciousness.

What is the bloody point of living on? Here’s where I oscillate. On one hand, I question even having a kid. In their lifetime, they have a good chance of witnessing the swift decline of our planet. Maybe I already love my kid and his or her kids enough not to bring them into this bloody mess. “Our children are the future.” Yeah, but there’s not much you can do when you’ve been bequeathed a load of shit. There will be no other planets. This big ball of miracle is it.

On the other hand, I really like cold beer on a hot day and other such moments. Meaning, perhaps we will be the last enviable generation and I should focus on doing future generations proud.

Either way, it’s getting harder to do things that I don’t care to do.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



2 comments:

Blogger About James ~ 7:34 PM

Working, I've diagnosed you with pre-nuptual depression.

Similar to post-partum depression, pre-numptual depression is a result of anxiety about a young woman's biggest day. Will the event live up to the expectations that society has instilled into you about getting married? These are questions only you and pscychiatric professionals like myself can answer.  


Blogger Eden ~ 9:37 PM

I do feel sorry for Vincent, but hopefully we can raise a little genius that can either make things in the world better, or have pity on his poor stupid parents for being so naive as to bring him into this world.

Move back to Saskatchewan. It's gotta be one of the safest places in the world for most natural disasters, and not high on anyone's hit list. We'll permaculture together.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON