Friday, June 30, 2006

'The Devil Loves Prada' Is Ruining My Life

I want to have the house sparkling by the end of today because Trev’s parents are coming to visit and I believe misrepresentation is the key to a good start in a new in-law relationship.

But I’ve been avoiding the job. It’s daunting, sure, but normally I can get into it. This week I’ve been avoiding it like it was an annual physical. And I’ve figured out the problem: I don’t want to clean my house because I hate “The Devil Wears Prada.”

See, I belong to this audio book club and I get one ‘free’ download a month, so I usually find the most expensive, unabridged recording of my favourite books and it works out to be a real deal. I go on autopilot as someone with usually a British accent reads me a story. Cleaning, dog walking, cooking – it all gets done.

This month, I was stuck for ideas. I wanted something light and funny and decided to ‘go supermarket’. You know, one of those light summer reads that everyone’s into. I came across ‘The Devil Wears Prada’ on some silly little bestseller list and thought what the hell (‘hell’? Devil? get it? Ha! Heh. Hmpft).

I rarely have this kind of reaction to a book. I knew I wasn’t into it from the first line of the first page of the first chapter. But I’d spent the money and it was a deal and can’t get another one because of the budget-blah-blah-blah, so I plugged on.

“Aw, poor baby. So what?” you say, a bit sarcastically, which is kind of unnecessary, don’t you think? The point is, my housework started to suffer. And the dog got shorter walks. And I haven’t cooked much of anything. It’s pure chaos. I’ve just made the connection - it’s that book. I am actually avoiding my iPod because I dislike it so much.

Sigh. I guess I’ll revert to something from my Jane Austen phase.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



0 comments:

post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON