Friday, June 16, 2006

All In a Morning

I was just transported back in time. Not literally, though that would be interesting*. Trev just called to ask if he’d locked me out. He’s done it before and I’ve had to climb through a window, which is always awkward and unflattering. But he hadn’t locked me out.
“Is that all?” I asked.
“Oh, and I love you,” he said.
“I love phone calls like this!” I said

And suddenly, a memory. He used to call me like this in the middle of day when we were working at the same place. That's four years ago. We weren’t really supposed to be dating. I would get tingles knowing that I was dating the very person after whom I'd been shamelessly (and probably not very subtly) lusting.

*I’ve been devouring Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. They are historical, fantasy, romance, adventure, guilty pleasure, stay-up-way-too-late reading kind of books. I can’t get enough of Claire and Jamie Fraser, especially the steamy parts. Which are quite good. Ahem.

• * *
WORKING: Oh, funny thing happened at the park today. And when I say 'funny', I mean 'farking crazy'.
I was walking with Charlie towards the park and I catch a glimpse of this white thing weaving in and out of traffic on Carlaw. I get closer. It's a dog. One of those Labradoodles, closely shaved. Looks familiar but I can't think of her name.
Cars are slamming on their breaks as she streaks out between parked cars. She almost gets smoked off a few times.
So I cross to the park and think for a second of letting it be, but she looked lost.
So I called her over and to my great surprise, she came.
I unclipped Charlie's leash, clipped it onto the dog. She was really sweet, rolled on her back for me.
So Charlie's off leash but as you know, she's usually fine crossing the park to the dog area so I figure I'm okay.Only, suddenly this baby bird comes swooping down and actually crash lands in Charlie's face. Well, that's just too much for her to resist.
So picture me wrangling this strange dog, trying to get ahold of Charlie who is about to pulverize a baby bird in front of school children.
TREV: this stuff doesn't happen to me
WORKING: "DROP IT!" I said. And accordingly, I dropped the ball. And to my surprise, she also dropped the bird. So I grabbed hold of her choke chain, dragged both dogs over to the ball, which had rolled beside the bird, tried to get the ball while not letting them grab the bird, and promptly dropped my iPod.
TREV: she dropped the bird? wow
WORKING: So finally, everything all gathered up, I drag the dogs to the dog park. Actually, Charlie's coming along nicely by my side and the other dog thinks this is great fun and is completely cooperative. I meet a man at the edge of the dog park who looks thoroughly surprised to see his dog on my leash. I told him point-blank that his dog was almost killed on Carlaw.
"She's only 11 months," he said. I almost snorted, but he looked pained. As they left the park, he thanked me again.
TREV: good on ya, lub
TREV: luv
TREV: why do I always type it that way?
WORKING: An hour later, we were walking back and Charlie dropped her ball and beelined for the bird. I was half a football field away, but I could see its wings flapping on either side of her mouth.
TREV: she's a natural
WORKING: "DROP IT!" I yelled. And she did. "LEAVE IT." She did. I got hold of the little robin, now in shock and covered in dog slobber, and returned it to a sturdy branch in a tree.
It promptly rolled out of the tree and bounced off the ground.
TREV: not meant to make it I think
WORKING: Probably not. But it was well covered by undergrowth, so I left it.
Charlie wanted to go back for it and tried to a couple of times. And guaranteed, for the next week she'll go straight for that tree.
But the point of the story is, I think this dog psychology bullshit is working.
Thus making it not really bullshit, I guess.
TREV: true
WORKING: And that is my story. (bows)
TREV: applause

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



3 comments:

Blogger Elan Morgan ~ 1:05 PM

Awesome story. I'm trying to stifle my laughter in my cubicle.  


Blogger Amalia ~ 1:21 PM

And true! I'm still recovering.  


Blogger palinode ~ 2:52 AM

So how did Trevor say applause? Did he lean it and say it all sotto voce? 'Cause he's the sotto voce man.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON