Sunday, May 21, 2006

Workshop

I went to my first Tarot workshop this week. I was a little nervous. Okay, a lot nervous. I felt like I was going to an audition. I’m good at creating intense expectations.

So naturally, I made myself impossibly late. I left myself 15 minutes to cover 2.5 miles on foot, including the Don Valley after a big rainstorm. So the first impression I offered was “Sweat. Red. Out of breath. More sweat.” I actually wiped my hands on my pants to shake hands with the other participants, which is so attractive. Then I perched delicately on the edge of my chair and sipped ginger tea, trying to pretend rivers weren’t pouring down my face.

The workshop was more of a therapy session than I was expecting. I mean, it made sense when I went back and read the description, but in my panic to get there I hadn’t had time to imagine what that meant. Suddenly, I was picking out cards that represented the darkest moments of my past.

The teacher was lovely - warm, welcoming, with obvious experience. He put himself out there as much as any of us did (what happens in Workshop stays in Workshop). I’m sure I was an idiot, over-eager to show off my book learnin’. But he quickly navigated us ‘behind the curtain’. I was surprised by my resistance at first. I thought I was an open book. It was deep, intense, and I have never gotten more out of one card than I did that night. If I close my eyes, I can still picture every detail of every card that I chose.

I think it will make me a better reader.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ~ 6:39 AM

OMG, I can't believe that you too are into Tarot cards! I am just a beinner who just took interest in divination , and possess divination cards eg. Crystal Tarot. Can't believe that the blogger next to me is also into such things!  


Blogger Amalia ~ 8:31 AM

Yup, currently focussed on the Hanson-Roberts and resisting the urge to buy any more decks for awhile....  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON