Friday, December 09, 2005

Baggage

WORKING: BTW, A. and S. are moving back to SK in the spring. I think it's hush for now.
TREV: really? How come?
WORKING: They've been here a few years, they feel they've done what they came to do and I think the big seller was that daycare is half as expensive there. And they could buy a house. And the grandparents are there, so they'd have a little more support.
TREV: I see
WORKING: They also want to do their own projects and I think in SK it might be a little easier to do that.
TREV: yeah, its certainly easier to get something made there than here.
WORKING: I also heard that SK is going to become one of the richest provinces in the country. Maybe there's going to be a reversal of the brain drain.
TREV: so are we pinheads for not living there?
WORKING: I honestly don't know what to think!
TREV: it gets me frustrated
WORKING: why?
TREV: well, all my life I've wanted to live in big places where there's tons going on. Even if I'm not doing all the things that I could, the fact that its there keeps me interested. SK is a beautiful place with lots of cool people who've done cool things, but it always made me feel plain and boring. When I think SK, I think mall food court and I don't know why. I get frustrated because of the irony that SK is probably one of the best places to live. But simply because its easier? I feel like SK is this heavy bag on my hip that I have to deal with sooner or later. Or it's the Borg and resistance is futile. I dunno.
WORKING: If you feel that way about it, you definitely shouldn't live there.
We can make a life anywhere.
TREV: I know we can. I believe we can. But it feels like everyone else knows something I don't.
WORKING: But I think it just gets to people, mentally. Our lives aren't drastically different for living in Toronto. Yes, the energy is different, but think of our day-to-day lives and what we do regularly. It's not that different aside from a bit more selection. But it is a whole lot more expensive. I think people remember how cheap it was to live in SK and have come to the conclusion that their lifestyle wouldn't be that much different. Probably better, in fact, with more spending money. More vacations.
TREV: i could very well be sitting around watching TV or surfing the net in Regina or Saskatoon. No different. But when I open the curtains, I don't want sitting watching TV to be better than what's outside.
WORKING: I do like the neighbourhood, the way so many people walk instead of drive.
TREV: and, I wanna see somewhere else too.
like Vancouver.
or Halifaz
halifaz?
where's that?
WORKING: Halifax's jazzier sister-city?
TREV: at least it's not Halifad. That didn't last long.
WORKING: Or Halifan. Psychos.
TREV: Halifat had some weight issues.

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ~ 7:50 PM

Dan has never lived anywhere other than Regina. He wants to stay here. I'm in the mood for a move, though. It's really irritating, at times, running into someone I know everywhere I go. Or dreading it.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON