Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Sleepless

Charlie kept sneaking onto the bed in the middle of the night. She settles on my legs and she’s 60 lbs, so understandably I try to get out of her way in my sleep. I wake up half hanging out of the bed or with my knees pulled up to my chin, Charlie sprawled out on 30% of the bed.

Last night I had just fallen asleep when the neighbour turned up the heat and started smoking. We share the furnace system and we get blasted with her cigarettes. Only apparently she doesn’t get enough heat up there because she turns it up to 25 degrees, so that within a few minutes we’re sweating and throwing off the covers, choking from the smoke.

Then there are the mice. They are have abandoned the cold for the toasty warm drop ceiling of our basement bedroom. Nothing wakes me up faster than the scrabble of rodenty feet, followed by the 16 lb cannonball that is Kiwi in hot pursuit. He nails the bladder every time.

This is one of the rare times in 17 years that I have nowhere to be in the morning, no job to worry about. Shouldn’t I be getting luxurious amounts of sleep?

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



0 comments:

post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON