Friday, November 25, 2005

The Bitchy Blues

I can’t believe it’s Friday. I’ve been unemployed for one week. Sorry – I've been in the ‘changing times’ for one week.* The first three days were great. The last two days were kind of downers. No, I haven’t been obsessing about my state of joblessness. I’ve been keeping busy enough with other projects. It’s just that the past two days have been all about little irritations that set my teeth on edge.

Yesterday I went to the One of a Kind Show at the CNE. I haven’t been to a craft show in ages and you know what? I remember why: I hate shopping. Four and a half hours of non-stop, aisle after aisle after aisle of just stuff was enough to make me completely loopy. Which is my excuse for why, on a handmade gift that was meant to represent my entire, expansive family, I FORGOT ONE SISTER. Ack! Sh!t! F^ckity f^ck!

I jumped off the streetcar, froze my ass off to get back to the CNE, begged my way back into the show because I didn’t get a hand stamp, and had the gift fixed to include her. Why all the hassle? Because I love my sister and I spent $80 on the non-returnable gift. Problem solved. But my attitude was in the dumps.

Today I'm in a nasty mood. I’ve been scanning photos all day for another sister’s wedding, which is in less than a month. I’m desperately behind on the project. I didn’t think I was, but after a full day I’ve only scanned 170 pictures and have 200 to go….**

So here’s what was so f*cked up about this week. I LOST MY JOB and I couldn’t have been happier. I blissed out for three solid days. So why, then, did the little things suddenly make me crazy? I barely sweat that I’m out of work, then I throw a bitch-fit because we don’t have a meat thermometer to cook the roast that Trev brought home for supper and now we have to have tofu?

I don’t know what to say.

* Why does that sound completely dorky? It sounded great a few days ago.
** I have a whole new appreciation for the prep editors I used to work with. Dudes, you need to be paid more!

posted by Working From Home Today
~ permalink ~ ~ social bookmark



1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ~ 10:12 PM

Kay, you don't need a meat thermometer next time. We tried this once, and it worked. Heh. What you do is take the roast, still frozen, wrap it in tinfoil and put it in the roaster (can put some garlic in with it too) and cook it on 250 all day until supper time. Okay, so it's a leeeetle on the mushy side of tender, but when all you've ever had in your life is dried out roast, it tastes darn good. And it's easy.  


post a comment ~ Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom] ~ main page





CURRENT MOON